Week 2 Reading Overview


Choose from CLASSICAL and/or BIBLICAL units for Weeks 3 and 4

Week 3: Bible Women

Choose from MIDDLE EASTERN and/or INDIAN units for Weeks 5 and 6

Week 5: Arabian Nights

Week 6: Turkish Fairy Tales

Choose from ASIAN and/or AFRICAN units for Weeks 7 and 9

Week 7: Filipino Popular Tales

Week 9: Folktales of Bengal

Choose from NATIVE AMERICAN units for Weeks 10 and 11

Week 10: Apache Tales

Week 11: Myths of the Cherokee

Choose from BRITISH and/or CELTIC units for Weeks 12 and 13

Week 12: Alice in Wonderland 

Week 13: Faerie Queen

Choose from EUROPEAN units for Weeks 14 and 15.

Week 14: Czech Folktales

Week 15: Italian Popular Tales


*For the master list, please visit the The UnTextbook

Comments:

I grew up on folk tales and fairy tales. I always loved the idea that each story was associated with a moral or deeper meaning of some kind, and that the stories were often narrated by animals. Hearing a story from a the point of view of a lion or a spider (Anansi was one of my favorites when I was little!) always felt like an adventure in of itself. I also used to listen to CDs of classic fairy tales each night until I fell asleep. 

I am very excited, therefore, to dive back into the world of myth and folklore! I am taking a class on South Asia this semester, so I am particularly excited for the Bengali folktales. It's one thing to learn about the history and politics of a place, and a very different one to understand the culture and the tales that resonate with people there. I'm also very excited to read Alice in Wonderland. I danced as Alice in a ballet adaptation of the story, and it is therefore a story that is very close to my heart. I've read bits and pieces of Lewis Carroll's prose over the years, but I can't wait to read through a larger chunk of it in this class. Below is a photo from the production -  I absolutely loved getting to embody the whimsy and curiosity of Alice.


Alice prepares to dance her way through Wonderland. Personal photo.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Writer in Tights

Week 9 Story: Diamond Tears